Friday, May 19, 2006

Fences and Finds

Day 4 - Jerusalem, Israel - I didn't get a chance to post last night for a very simple reason. I couldn't get to the cafe with the wireless Internet connection. Why couldn't I get to the cafe? Well, it seems that two potential attackers made their way into Israel yesterday. The Israelis (not Israelites) knew they had gotten in, but couldn't find them. How did they know? They have one of the best intelligence networks around. Anyway, these two guys got in so Jerusalem was shut down. Traffic jams, roads closed, etc. Our trip leader told us to avoid popular Jewish hangout spots...like cafes with wireless connections! I was sooooo tempted to go out. I wanted to get and send e-mail, but I stayed in. When we woke up this morning our leader told us that the order had been rescinded later that evening. It just blows me away, pardon the pun, that people live like this every day. I mean I grew up in Brooklyn, but I didn't live every day waiting to see if I would get mugged, not to mention wondering if someone would blow up part of my neighbourhood. I guess you just get used to it. It reminds me that as a believer our security rests in Christ. He will protect us from the danger that matters most.

Back to Israeli security. So the problem of these attackers infiltrating the country has led the Israelis to build a security fence (in some places it’s a wall) along the border of the West Bank. The fence will funnel any Arabs who want to get into Jewish controlled Israel through checkpoints. The Israelis control the checkpoints so they decide who comes through the fence. The fence has one stated purpose: keep attackers out. So what did we do today? We crossed the fence INTO the West Bank. Why? We wanted to see Bethany. Bethany, you will remember, was the home of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. It was one of Jesus favorite places to stay, and his home base at the beginning of Passion Week. It was a bit disappointing because there are two churches built on the site of the village, but exciting nonetheless. In addition we got to see some new archaeological excavations that have uncovered irrefutable proof that this was a Jewish village in the 1st century AD. This evidence has not been published anywhere yet. It was worth it to cross the fence. And, since you're reading this blog, praise the Lord, we made it back safely. I'm left wondering why I'm afraid to cross the fence in my backyard to get to know my neighbors. It's not like it's a great risk or anything.

Pray for us. Tomorrow we will cross the fence again this time at a major checkpoint (bombers sometimes blow themselves up at checkpoints). We are going to see Jericho. Bethany was nothing compared to Jericho. This could very well be the highlight of the trip!

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home